Versatile, Customizable Solutions
In the energy storage world, one size does not fit all. ESS has configurable solutions that are assembled from the same innovative core technology and can be configured to meet the needs of a variety of users and applications: utilities and developers, microgrid operators or C&I system owners.
Designed to serve commercial and industrial customers, this compact unit has an energy storage capacity of 400 kWh and a 25-year design life. It can be configured to provide storage durations of 4 to 12 hours.
Created for utility-scale applications, this battery-in-a-building delivers a configurable range of power capacities starting at 3 MW and energy durations ranging from 6 to 12 hours. A one-acre footprint supports up to 6 MW and 74 MWh.
The ESS Inc. advantage
- Unlimited Cycling – Most lithium-ion batteries are only guaranteed for one cycle per day. The ESS battery can be cycled continuously without limitation, as validated by extensive DOE ARPA-E testing.
- Zero Degradation – Our batteries do not degrade with use and do not require “augmentation”, even when cycled continuously.
- Wide Range of Operating Temperatures – Our batteries run without need for A/C or supplemental heating in ambient temperatures from about -5C to 50C.
- Lowest Cost of Service – Our batteries have the lowest overall cost of service for long duration or multi-cycling requirements, especially so in “workhorse”, heavy use applications.
- Long Life Asset – Our containerized storage system has a design life of 25 years. We conducted advanced cycle testing for the U.S. Department of Energy simulating over 4 decades of use with no degradation in performance. The truth is we have yet to see any performance degradation at any level and have had no product failures since introducing our first commercial unit in 2015.
- No hazardous Materials – Our batteries use no hazardous materials, which means no hazmat training, no hazmat suits, no hazardous chemicals disposal plan, and easy permitting. It also makes it easy to localize routine maintenance – a diesel genset mechanic is “over qualified” to perform routine maintenance on our systems.
Made in America – We take great pride in the fact that all of our energy storage platforms and their components are designed and assembled at our 100,000 square foot manufacturing facility outside of Portland, Oregon.
Iron flow batteries vs. other batteries: no comparison
No other technology can match the advantages of ESS Inc.’s Energy Warehouse™ (EW) and Energy Center™ (EC™). The EW™ and EC™ lead competitive technologies in levelized cost of storage (LCOS) and deep charge and discharge cycles.
With features including our environmentally friendly electrolyte, system life that tops 20 years, turnkey installation and fast response time, users see an improvement in their LCOS as well as many other benefits over traditional lithium-ion batteries.
Why use lithium-ion batteries in long-duration storage applications when our technology can do the job and do it at a lower cost? Better yet, ESS delivers top-tier performance with far less environmental impact.